Ouray’s mountains are best viewed from the comfort of a four-wheel-drive vehicle. There are countless four-wheeling options nearby, ranging from easy scenic trips to difficult adventures, from mine trails to beautiful mountain passes. Explore the ruins and abandoned towns of Colorado as you travel through some of the world’s most breathtaking landscapes.
At Ouray Mountain Adventures, you can either bring your own four-wheel drive vehicle or rent a Jeep locally, or you can take advantage of a tour conducted by trained, experienced drivers. Jeeps can be rented year-round due to their snow-clearing abilities. If you’re not used to mountain driving, start with the easier routes. Remember the following safety and etiquette considerations when planning a four-wheel drive journey.
- Know your vehicle’s capabilities and limitations.
- Always check the road conditions in your immediate area.
- If you’re unsure, go ahead and scout ahead on foot rather than driving into an unknown situation.
- Always stay on well-traveled routes and avoid going cross-country. The tundra is a delicate ecosystem.
- Gear down and take it easy on steep grades. Gearing down is critical while going downhill on steep terrain. Make use of your gears rather than your brakes.
- Always come to a halt if assistance is needed.
- The uphill motorist has the right-of-way. If you’re going downhill, yield!
- Only take pictures and leave only footprints.
Twin Peaks Lodge and Hot Springs provide Ouray Colorado lodging accommodations. After a hard day of hiking in the mountains, our rooms are warm and inviting, with plenty of conveniences. We can direct you to the best places to visit in order to fully appreciate the “Switzerland of America” and everything it has to offer. To book a room call 877.859.0204.