Twin Peaks came to be thanks to Alfred Armstrong who built a two-story residence during the late 1800s on Third Avenue that now serves as the Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs foundation. In 1897 he married Kansas-born Orpha Hayden who lived in Denver but subsequently moved to Ouray upon getting married. The couple would go on to have three children named George, Mary and Alfred Jr. who died at a young age.
During the early 1900s Armstrong bought a quartet of lots for just $1000 and also managed to find fortune in the Ouray mines. When he passed away in 1923 the widowed Orpha managed the Twin Peaks site for two years before she passed away two years later. The couple’s son George took control of the residence until he passed away in 1954 and his wife Vivian took over.
By the 1930s several cabins had been built at the Twin Peaks site as well as a swimming pool. The cabins exchanged owners several times and by the late 1960s the Twin Peaks Motel fell under the ownership of the Best Western brand, where it has since won several awards and accolades.
Today, Twin Peaks is one of the finest experiences in all of Ouray and has served countless guests. You can read about its history in greater detail by visiting the Twin Peaks Lodging History page: http://twinpeakslodging.com/history.html.
This update is provided by Twins Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs. Our Ouray lodging, full-service hotel has seven different room types including rooms for couples or families with children. Our amenities include hot springs, a free breakfast, spectacular vistas of the mountains, and much more. For additional information on our Twin Peaks Lodging location, please call 800.207.2700 or visit us at 125 3rd Avenue Ouray, Colorado 81427.